Papua New Guinea considers sex work law reform
The minister for Community Development, Dame Carol Kidu, has asked the Law Review Commission to review the sex laws, with a possibility of prostitution and homosexuality being legalised.
The director of the Aids Council Secretariat, Wep Kanawi, says the current laws are archaic and stop sex workers from getting help.
“It becomes prohibitive for transgenders and for female and male sex workers and for people who are in the minority groupings, for them to actually come out and receive the same level of assistance and help that is now being provided to other normal HIV and AIDs services.”
Wep Kanawi says 38,000 people have tested positive for HIV but suspects the number is higher.
News Content © Radio New Zealand International
PO Box 123, Wellington, New Zealand
Court-based research: collaborating with the justice system to enhance STI services for vulnerable women in the US http://t.co/3vEaFQVO
The fractal queerness of non-heteronormative migrant #sexworkers in the UK by Nick Mae http://t.co/X7oGFeDI
'only 31% of the sample of indirect sex workers reported having been engaged in commercial sex in the last 12 months'
Old but good. Violence and Exposure to HIV among #sexworkers in Phnom Penh http://t.co/rkrRGiBa
Someone is Wrong on the Internet: #sex workers' access to accurate information http://t.co/aMSXhygd
Subscribe to the PLRI Newsletter.
Already a subscriber?
Manage your subscriptions
- Proposal to European Parliament recommending the Swedish Model - 2014
- PLRI WEBSITE NEWS - 2014
- Prevalence and Correlates of HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections among Female Sex Workers and Their Non-commercial Male Partners in Two Mexico-USA Border Cities - 2014
- Social Cohesion, Social Participation, and HIV Related Risk among Female Sex Workers in Swaziland - 2014
- "Custody and Education": Arbitrary Detention for Female Sex Workers in China - 2013
- Poverty as a Contextual Factor Affecting Sexual Health Behavior Among Female Sex Workers in India - 2013
- Psychological factors in Nepali former commercial sex workers with HIV. - 2013
- A Regressive Move Which Would Further Stigmatise and Endanger Sex Workers - 2012
- Banking Services for Sex Workers - 2012
- Condom Use among Female Commercial Sex Workers in Nevada's Legal Brothels - 2012