Understanding the Context of HIV Risk Behavior Among HIV-Positive and HIV-Negative Female Sex Workers and Male Bar Clients Following Antiretroviral Therapy Rollout in Mombasa, Kenya
Article in AIDS Educ Prev 2011 Aug;23(4):299-312.
This study explored perceptions of HIV following local introduction of antiretroviral therapy (ART), among 30 HIV-positive and HIV-negative female sex workers (FSWs) and 10 male bar patrons in Mombasa, Kenya. Semi-structured interviews were analyzed qualitatively to identify determinants of sexual risk behaviors. ART was not perceived as a barrier to safer sex and in some cases led to decreased high-risk behaviors. Barriers to safer sex included economic pressure and sexual partnership types. Many women reported that negotiating condom use is more difficult in long-term partnerships. These women favored short-term partnerships to minimize risk through consistent condom use. For women living with HIV, concern about maintaining health and avoiding HIV superinfection was a strong motivator of protective behaviors. For HIV-negative women, a negative HIV test was a powerful motivator. Incorporation of context- and serostatus-specific factors (e.g., self-protection for HIV-positive women) into tailored prevention counseling may support high-risk women to reduce risk behaviors.
Court-based research: collaborating with the justice system to enhance STI services for vulnerable women in the US http://t.co/3vEaFQVO
The fractal queerness of non-heteronormative migrant #sexworkers in the UK by Nick Mae http://t.co/X7oGFeDI
'only 31% of the sample of indirect sex workers reported having been engaged in commercial sex in the last 12 months'
Old but good. Violence and Exposure to HIV among #sexworkers in Phnom Penh http://t.co/rkrRGiBa
Someone is Wrong on the Internet: #sex workers' access to accurate information http://t.co/aMSXhygd
Subscribe to the PLRI Newsletter.
Already a subscriber?
Manage your subscriptions
- A Regressive Move Which Would Further Stigmatise and Endanger Sex Workers - 2012
- Banking Services for Sex Workers - 2012
- Condom Use among Female Commercial Sex Workers in Nevada's Legal Brothels - 2012
- Criminalizing Condoms: How Policing Practices Put Sex Workers and HIV Services at Risk in Kenya, Namibia, Russia, South Africa, the United States, and Zimbabwe - 2012
- Debating the right to sell sex in Switzerland - 2012
- Hit & Run The impact of anti trafficking policy and practice on Sex Worker’s Human Rights in Thailand - 2012
- India: Community Empowerment Key to Turning Tide on HIV - 2012
- Nigeria: Sex Workers Account for 32 Percent of HIV - 2012
- PLRI WEBSITE NEWS - 2012
- Prostitution Policy Models and Feminist Knowledge Politics in New Zealand and Sweden - 2012