Risk Perceptions, Prevention and Treatment Seeking for Sexually Transmitted Infections and HIV/AIDS among Female Sex Workers in Kano, Nigeria
We examined the risk perceptions, prevention and treatment seeking for HIV/AIDS/STIs of 124 female commercial sex workers from 52 randomly selected brothels in Kano, Nigeria using a descriptive cross sectional design. We analysed the data using Epi Info® 3.5.1. The mean age of the sex workers was 26.4 ± 1.9 years, and most were indigenous Hausas (33.9%), single (50.8%) and had at least secondary school level of education (51.7%). Majority perceived that unprotected sexual intercourse (96.0%) is the commonest risk factor associated with STIs and HIV/AIDs acquisition. Surprisingly, 25.8% did not believe that any method protect against STIs and HIV/AIDS. The most common symptom reported was perineal itching (53.6%); and 60.7% with the symptoms continued to have unprotected sex. Alarmingly, 29.6% of the sex workers were HIV positive, and all continued with unprotected sexual intercourse with clients. Despite the sex workers’ good perception and knowledge of HIV/AIDS/STIs prevention, they demonstrated unhealthy sex behaviour and treatment seeking. We recommend a peer education package that targets the workers and their clients, with focus on reducing risk behaviours associated with STIs and HIV transmission, safer sex; and treatment seeking.
Court-based research: collaborating with the justice system to enhance STI services for vulnerable women in the US http://t.co/3vEaFQVO
The fractal queerness of non-heteronormative migrant #sexworkers in the UK by Nick Mae http://t.co/X7oGFeDI
'only 31% of the sample of indirect sex workers reported having been engaged in commercial sex in the last 12 months'
Old but good. Violence and Exposure to HIV among #sexworkers in Phnom Penh http://t.co/rkrRGiBa
Someone is Wrong on the Internet: #sex workers' access to accurate information http://t.co/aMSXhygd
Subscribe to the PLRI Newsletter.
Already a subscriber?
Manage your subscriptions
- Proposal to European Parliament recommending the Swedish Model - 2014
- PLRI WEBSITE NEWS - 2014
- Prevalence and Correlates of HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections among Female Sex Workers and Their Non-commercial Male Partners in Two Mexico-USA Border Cities - 2014
- Social Cohesion, Social Participation, and HIV Related Risk among Female Sex Workers in Swaziland - 2014
- "Custody and Education": Arbitrary Detention for Female Sex Workers in China - 2013
- Poverty as a Contextual Factor Affecting Sexual Health Behavior Among Female Sex Workers in India - 2013
- Psychological factors in Nepali former commercial sex workers with HIV. - 2013
- A Regressive Move Which Would Further Stigmatise and Endanger Sex Workers - 2012
- Banking Services for Sex Workers - 2012
- Condom Use among Female Commercial Sex Workers in Nevada's Legal Brothels - 2012