A resilience-based lens of sex work: Implications for professional psychologists
An analysis of recent empirical and theoretical literature in psychology investigating sex work highlights the field's focus of pathology and stigma. We offer an alternative understanding of sex work by using a resilience-based lens and apply it to three areas of research with sex work. Specifically, we critique research investigating sex work-related phenomena in psychology and related fields that focus on pathology, stigma, and psychological sequelae using a resilience-based perspective about sex work language, location and practice environment, involvement with drugs and alcohol, and trauma. Implications for future practice and scholarship in professional psychology are also discussed, to help psychologists consider strength-based and empowerment-focused approaches for work with this population.
Court-based research: collaborating with the justice system to enhance STI services for vulnerable women in the US http://t.co/3vEaFQVO
The fractal queerness of non-heteronormative migrant #sexworkers in the UK by Nick Mae http://t.co/X7oGFeDI
'only 31% of the sample of indirect sex workers reported having been engaged in commercial sex in the last 12 months'
Old but good. Violence and Exposure to HIV among #sexworkers in Phnom Penh http://t.co/rkrRGiBa
Someone is Wrong on the Internet: #sex workers' access to accurate information http://t.co/aMSXhygd
Subscribe to the PLRI Newsletter.
Already a subscriber?
Manage your subscriptions
- A Regressive Move Which Would Further Stigmatise and Endanger Sex Workers - 2012
- Banking Services for Sex Workers - 2012
- Condom Use among Female Commercial Sex Workers in Nevada's Legal Brothels - 2012
- Criminalizing Condoms: How Policing Practices Put Sex Workers and HIV Services at Risk in Kenya, Namibia, Russia, South Africa, the United States, and Zimbabwe - 2012
- Debating the right to sell sex in Switzerland - 2012
- Hit & Run The impact of anti trafficking policy and practice on Sex Worker’s Human Rights in Thailand - 2012
- India: Community Empowerment Key to Turning Tide on HIV - 2012
- Nigeria: Sex Workers Account for 32 Percent of HIV - 2012
- PLRI WEBSITE NEWS - 2012
- Prostitution Policy Models and Feminist Knowledge Politics in New Zealand and Sweden - 2012