Preventing Prevention Trial Failures: A case study and lessons for future trials from the 2004 Tenofovir trial in Cambodia
This document is published by the Global Campaign for Microbicides and is based on interviews conducted in Cambodia and by telephone from mid-2006 through 2008 with key players in the events surrounding the 2004 trial to determine whether tenofovir disoproxil fumarate was safe and effective for use as a pre-exposure chemoprophylaxis to prevent HIV transmission. Before the trial formally began, preparations for it were halted by the Cambodian government following protests led by the Women’s Network for Unity (WNU), the union of Cambodian sex workers. This report reviews the events leading up to the cancellation of the trial in order to identify lessons that can be learnt from the process and consider how these problems can be avoided in future trials.
Court-based research: collaborating with the justice system to enhance STI services for vulnerable women in the US http://t.co/3vEaFQVO
The fractal queerness of non-heteronormative migrant #sexworkers in the UK by Nick Mae http://t.co/X7oGFeDI
'only 31% of the sample of indirect sex workers reported having been engaged in commercial sex in the last 12 months'
Old but good. Violence and Exposure to HIV among #sexworkers in Phnom Penh http://t.co/rkrRGiBa
Someone is Wrong on the Internet: #sex workers' access to accurate information http://t.co/aMSXhygd
Subscribe to the PLRI Newsletter.
Already a subscriber?
Manage your subscriptions
- A Regressive Move Which Would Further Stigmatise and Endanger Sex Workers - 2012
- Banking Services for Sex Workers - 2012
- Condom Use among Female Commercial Sex Workers in Nevada's Legal Brothels - 2012
- Criminalizing Condoms: How Policing Practices Put Sex Workers and HIV Services at Risk in Kenya, Namibia, Russia, South Africa, the United States, and Zimbabwe - 2012
- Debating the right to sell sex in Switzerland - 2012
- Hit & Run The impact of anti trafficking policy and practice on Sex Worker’s Human Rights in Thailand - 2012
- India: Community Empowerment Key to Turning Tide on HIV - 2012
- Nigeria: Sex Workers Account for 32 Percent of HIV - 2012
- PLRI WEBSITE NEWS - 2012
- Prostitution Policy Models and Feminist Knowledge Politics in New Zealand and Sweden - 2012