Estimates of human immunodeficiency virus incidence among female sex workers in north central Nigeria: implications for HIV clinical trials
We estimated the HIV incidence among commercial female sex workers (FSWs) in north central Nigeria using bimodal methodology. Using a cross-sectional study design, a total of 900 active FSWs between the ages of 18 and 35 years were recruited from 52 brothels within Nasarawa State, Nigeria. A rapid test algorithm was used to determine their HIV status. ... Of the 900 FSWs tested, 335 (37.2%) were found to be positive for HIV. Of these, 63 showed evidence of recent infection. .. In addition, 875 (97.2%) of the FSWs readily agreed to participate in HIV clinical trials. We have developed the expertise and infrastructure necessary for clinical trial investigations in sub-Saharan Africa.
We have recorded a high proportion of recent HIV infections among FSWs in Nigeria and also provided an enabling environment for future studies of HIV prevention methods.
( abridged author abstract)
Court-based research: collaborating with the justice system to enhance STI services for vulnerable women in the US http://t.co/3vEaFQVO
The fractal queerness of non-heteronormative migrant #sexworkers in the UK by Nick Mae http://t.co/X7oGFeDI
'only 31% of the sample of indirect sex workers reported having been engaged in commercial sex in the last 12 months'
Old but good. Violence and Exposure to HIV among #sexworkers in Phnom Penh http://t.co/rkrRGiBa
Someone is Wrong on the Internet: #sex workers' access to accurate information http://t.co/aMSXhygd
Subscribe to the PLRI Newsletter.
Already a subscriber?
Manage your subscriptions
- A Regressive Move Which Would Further Stigmatise and Endanger Sex Workers - 2012
- Banking Services for Sex Workers - 2012
- Condom Use among Female Commercial Sex Workers in Nevada's Legal Brothels - 2012
- Criminalizing Condoms: How Policing Practices Put Sex Workers and HIV Services at Risk in Kenya, Namibia, Russia, South Africa, the United States, and Zimbabwe - 2012
- Debating the right to sell sex in Switzerland - 2012
- Hit & Run The impact of anti trafficking policy and practice on Sex Worker’s Human Rights in Thailand - 2012
- India: Community Empowerment Key to Turning Tide on HIV - 2012
- Nigeria: Sex Workers Account for 32 Percent of HIV - 2012
- PLRI WEBSITE NEWS - 2012
- Prostitution Policy Models and Feminist Knowledge Politics in New Zealand and Sweden - 2012