Beyond compassion: Children of sex workers in Kolkata’s Sonagachi
Article in Childhood August 2011 vol. 18, no. 3, 333-349.
In 2005, children of sex workers from Kolkata’s Sonagachi red-light district formed their own collective, Amra Padatik (‘We are Foot Soldiers’), to work to gain dignity for their mothers and claim their own rights as children of sex workers. In this article the authors speak to Amra Padatik’s founder members to demystify the culture of fear associated with their lives — perpetuated through popular representations. This is not to underplay their acute experiences of disadvantage, but to foreground them as politically astute citizens and decision-makers in policies that concern and affect them.
Their aim is to replace the compassion-driven traditional 3Rs of raid, rescue, rehabilitation with 3 counter-Rs: resilience, reworking and resistance.
Court-based research: collaborating with the justice system to enhance STI services for vulnerable women in the US http://t.co/3vEaFQVO
The fractal queerness of non-heteronormative migrant #sexworkers in the UK by Nick Mae http://t.co/X7oGFeDI
'only 31% of the sample of indirect sex workers reported having been engaged in commercial sex in the last 12 months'
Old but good. Violence and Exposure to HIV among #sexworkers in Phnom Penh http://t.co/rkrRGiBa
Someone is Wrong on the Internet: #sex workers' access to accurate information http://t.co/aMSXhygd
Subscribe to the PLRI Newsletter.
Already a subscriber?
Manage your subscriptions
- A Regressive Move Which Would Further Stigmatise and Endanger Sex Workers - 2012
- Banking Services for Sex Workers - 2012
- Condom Use among Female Commercial Sex Workers in Nevada's Legal Brothels - 2012
- Criminalizing Condoms: How Policing Practices Put Sex Workers and HIV Services at Risk in Kenya, Namibia, Russia, South Africa, the United States, and Zimbabwe - 2012
- Debating the right to sell sex in Switzerland - 2012
- Hit & Run The impact of anti trafficking policy and practice on Sex Worker’s Human Rights in Thailand - 2012
- India: Community Empowerment Key to Turning Tide on HIV - 2012
- Nigeria: Sex Workers Account for 32 Percent of HIV - 2012
- PLRI WEBSITE NEWS - 2012
- Prostitution Policy Models and Feminist Knowledge Politics in New Zealand and Sweden - 2012