27 different frameworks of sex work law and still counting -
6 new frameworks have been published in 2011. Stand by for even more 'definitions' of decriminalisation and legalisation.
This document began as a folder for gathering information about definitions and ideas around law and sex work. As the folder grew I became increasingly aware that although some very good work exists, no agreed analysis or even common understandings of different legal terms and approaches has emerged. This means there is a lack a solid basis for discussions about the impact of legal frameworks and for planning changes that can reduce human rights abuses and HIV vulnerability among male, female and transgender sex workers.
It begins with perspectives on language, beginning with a comment from Carol Lee, who invented the term ‘sex worker’. It then lists 21 different frameworks and sets of terms for talking about sex work.
Ed: The final entry is a few paragraphs I wrote about sex work HIV and the law that might be useful.
Court-based research: collaborating with the justice system to enhance STI services for vulnerable women in the US http://t.co/3vEaFQVO
The fractal queerness of non-heteronormative migrant #sexworkers in the UK by Nick Mae http://t.co/X7oGFeDI
'only 31% of the sample of indirect sex workers reported having been engaged in commercial sex in the last 12 months'
Old but good. Violence and Exposure to HIV among #sexworkers in Phnom Penh http://t.co/rkrRGiBa
Someone is Wrong on the Internet: #sex workers' access to accurate information http://t.co/aMSXhygd
Subscribe to the PLRI Newsletter.
Already a subscriber?
Manage your subscriptions
- A Regressive Move Which Would Further Stigmatise and Endanger Sex Workers - 2012
- Banking Services for Sex Workers - 2012
- Condom Use among Female Commercial Sex Workers in Nevada's Legal Brothels - 2012
- Criminalizing Condoms: How Policing Practices Put Sex Workers and HIV Services at Risk in Kenya, Namibia, Russia, South Africa, the United States, and Zimbabwe - 2012
- Debating the right to sell sex in Switzerland - 2012
- Hit & Run The impact of anti trafficking policy and practice on Sex Worker’s Human Rights in Thailand - 2012
- India: Community Empowerment Key to Turning Tide on HIV - 2012
- Nigeria: Sex Workers Account for 32 Percent of HIV - 2012
- PLRI WEBSITE NEWS - 2012
- Prostitution Policy Models and Feminist Knowledge Politics in New Zealand and Sweden - 2012